Welcome to the Web site of the Consortium for Computing Sciences in Colleges (CCSC). Whether you are a member of the Consortium, a participant in one of the regional conferences, or a professor or student with an interest in the issues pertaining to college computing, our hope is that you will find these pages informative and useful. Information regarding the regional conferences sponsored by the consortium is of particular interest.
About the Consortium
The purpose of the Consortium is to promote the betterment of computer-oriented curricula in two- and four-year colleges and universities; to improve the use of computing as an educational resource for all disciplines; to encompass regional constituencies devoted to this purpose; and to promote a national liaison among local, regional, and national organizations also devoted to this purpose. Predominantly these colleges and universities are oriented toward teaching, rather than research.
The Consortium holds meetings in conjunction with other computer education organizations, on its own, and sponsors sessions and tracks at such meetings. The annual meeting of the membership is held in conjunction with the ACM/SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education.
Notice of Annual Business Meeting
All members and those interested in joining CCSC are invited and welcomed to attend the Annual CCSC Business meeting on Friday, March 13, 2020, at 6pm at the 2020 SIGCSE Symposium in Portland, OR.
From the President
Welcome to the CCSC website!
Since 1985 the Consortium of Computing Sciences in Colleges (CCSC) has sponsored regional computer science conferences across the United States. Each of our ten regions hosts an annual 1- or 2-day conference. Five are offered in the fall and five in the spring. Our fall 2019 conferences include:
- Midwestern, October 4-5, 2019, Benedictine University in Lisle, Illinois
- Northwestern, October 4-5, 2019, Pacific University, Forest Grove, Oregon
- Rocky Mountain, October 11-12, 2019, University of Sioux Falls in Sioux Fall, South Dakota
- Eastern, October 25-26, 2019, Robert Morris University in Moon Township, Pennsylvania
- Southeastern, October 25-26, 2019, Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama
CCSC conferences offer a high-quality, affordable venue for faculty to share research including pedagogical approaches, meet colleagues, and publish their work. Papers are double-blind, peer-refereed and if accepted are published in the Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges which appears in the ACM digital library. Keynote and banquet speakers highlight current topics and issues. Conferences include tutorials, panels, “Works in Progress” sessions to share preliminary work, “Birds of a Feather” discussion groups, “Nifty Assignments,” and vendor-sponsored sessions. Pre- and post-conference workshops offer opportunities for additional professional development.
Student attendance is strongly encouraged and promoted by offering student-oriented activities such as programming contests, poster and research contests, and panels focused on student-oriented topics. Research contests are sponsored by Upsilon Pi Epsilon, the International Honor Society for Computer Science.
We welcome Vendor participation at both the regional and national level. There are many benefits to becoming a CCSC National Partner.
CCSC conference registration includes membership in CCSC. For those who wish to join CCSC without attending a conference, online membership renewal is available at our Membership Renewal site. Members of CCSC receive the Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges which includes the refereed papers from the ten regional CCSC conferences.
We encourage you to participate in any of regional conferences. There are many ways to become involved including conference attendance, paper submissions, paper reviewing, serving on panels, leading tutorials and workshops, and bringing your students to our conferences. Leadership opportunities are available through participation on conference planning committees or even hosting a conference.
On behalf of our Board of Directors, thank you for your participation and support!
Jeff Lehman, CCSC President
New on the Website
- Posted links to the October 2019 issues of the Journal
- Updated the Spring 2018 conference information in the Conference Calendar
- Posted news of Susan Dean’s passing
- Posted results of the Spring 2019 Elections
- Posted logo and CCSC landing page for new Platinum National Partner: Codio
- Posted the Minutes of the Spring 2019 Board Meeting and the 2019 Annual Business Meeting
- Posted logo of new Bronze National Partner: Mercy College
- Posted news of the 2019 Distinguished Service Award recipient.
- Updated the Fall 2019 conference information in the Conference Calendar