Practice, Practice, Practice: Learning By Doing
the web-based, interactive programming exercise system for introductory CS courses. In a nutshell, CodeLab:
- offers hundreds of short programming exercises in each language
- smoothes the learning curve by starting each topic with the simplest exercises and then adding sophistication and complexity
- provides immediate feedback on errors
- can be used starting on Day 1
- supports instructor tracking of student work, instructor customization, instructor creation of exercises, and instructor-student communication
- 17 years of class use
- >300 schools
- >1000 instructors
- >2500 classes
- >250,000 students
- >100,000,000 submissions checked
I can’t imagine trying to teach introductory programming without this wonderful tool.
- < 2 sec. median response time
- 99.5% uptime, 24×7 coverage
My students are better programmers because of this tool and I didn’t have to spend as much class time discuss basics.
- students master basics on their own
- instructors focus on higher level topics
- better student performance, lower attrition
Our students credit … CodeLab for improved marks. Learning by doing has helped the students.