We have concluded a very successful and enjoyable 2017 CCSC:MW Conference at Calvin College , in Grand Rapids, MI. There were a total of 134 attendees: 71 faculty attendees and presenters, 2 invited speakers, 42 full student conference attendees, 16 programming contest only student attendees, 2 National Partner, and 1 local vendor.
The Student Showcase Contest had 11 submissions, 5 in the Discovery track and 6 in the Application track, from 8 institutions. The winners included:
- Discovery Track
- First Place: Jori Gelbaugh and Amber Carnahan, Hope College, Articulus.
- Second Place: Ryan Curstinger, Knox College, Smart Blocking.
- Third Place: Harry Carpetner, Rishu Sharma, and Shogo Akiyama. Knox College, Allocation Algorithms for the Dragonfly Topology.
- Application Track
- First Place: Jinseo Park, Fort Hays State University, Algorithm Visualizer.
- Second Place: Joel Stehouwer, Andrew Lang, Drew Campo, and Corwin Webster. Calvin College, Agora: Project Showcase.
- Third Place: Doug Ferguson, Marcus Beal, Alex Emmert, Chandler Derry, and Michael Clark. Carl Sandburg College,Integrating Mobile Apps into the EV3 Robotic platform.
The Student Programming Contest had 21 teams from 12 institutions participating. 13 teams solved 1 or more of the 7 problems posed, and 4 problems were solved at least once. The winning teams for the Student Programming Contest were:
- First Place: Calvin College IV
- Second Place: Taylor University I
- Third Place: Knox College I
Since only one team per institution can place in the contest, honorable mention to Calvin College II who finished in second.
The papers are available at the ACM Digital Library by using the Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges Archive page or directly to Volume 33, Issue 1, October 2017. You do not need an ACM DL account to access the Journal.
If you were not able to attend CCSC:MW 2017, and would like to renew your CCSC membership ($35) for the 2017-2018 academic year, you may do so by using the CCSC National on-line renewal site. You must pay via PayPal by PayPal (login into your PayPal account) or by credit card (check out as a guest). If you need to write a check, go to the Membership Renewalpage and download the Membership Application Form and mail as directed.